The Golf Centre Team
Dibden Golf Centre PGA Golf Professionals
It's all football, football, football at the moment so this weekend I want you to forget Euro 16 and focus on a real sporting occasion that is the US Open held at Oakmont Country Club. The event is always the toughest of the four major golf tournaments, and the 2016 edition will be no different, so here are a few juicy facts about the event and course to wet your appetite and no doubt the world's leading golfers will struggle like mad!
- The combined winning score of the last eight US Opens at Oakmont is nine-over, but the winning score was just five-over par in 2007. In fact, every hole averaged over par.
- Arguably the best round in Major history happened at Oakmont in 1973 when Johnny Miler shot the first ever 63 in a Major Championship to win by a single stroke.
- The course was extensively re-worked prior to the 2007 US Open. Almost every tree was removed in order to transform the look of the course, and it played much tougher as a result.
- On day four of the 2007 US Open, only four men shot par or better.
- Oakmont contains the longest par three in US Open history. The eighth hole, which measures out to be 288 yards, was hit only 26.7 percent of the time in 2007. Jordan Spieth used a three wood to hit the green in his practice round on Sunday, 12 June.
- On Twitter last week, Daniel Berger said "Oakmont's rough is like rough on steroids. You can't advance it 10 yards sometimes."
- Grizzled PGA Tour veteran Phil Mickelson has described Oakmont as "the toughest course I've ever played."
Summer Golf, BBQ and Quiz Night
On Tuesday, 28 June we are staging a fun evening of golf and food with a testing quiz for you and your golfing buddies.
Tee off times available from 5pm onwards for our eight hole golf event, followed by a BBQ and quiz on the terrace. The event is open to all and will no doubt prove to be a fun evening with lots of socialising. So please bring a golfing partner, tell all your friends and sign up in the pro shop soon.
Dibden Summer Ball
This year's summer ball will take place on Friday, 29 July (7pm til late). The will be a black tie event, starting with arrival drinks on the patio, followed by a two course meal and concluded with dancing till late. Tickets are priced at £19.95 each.
Click here to get in touch for more details.
Group golf coaching at Dibden Golf Centre
Come and join in the fun, make new golfing buddies, improve your skills and play better golf. Our group coaching programme runs all year long and you can join in at any time and all for the price of just £5 per session. Any age, any ability, everybody is welcome. Sessions run as follows:
- Ladies Group Coaching - Wednesday mornings 9.30am - 10.30am
- Seniors' Group Coaching - Thursday mornings 9.30am - 11.30am
- Adult Group Coaching - Saturdays 11am - 12pm
- Junior Group Coaching - Saturday mornings 9am - 9.50am and 10am - 10.50am
For more information speak to our PGA Qualified Golf Professional John Slade or click here to send us an email.
|Rid your game of the slice|
|Video of the week|
Oakmont: More history awaits. Oakmont Country Club is primed to host its ninth U.S. Open, and promises to leave another compelling chapter in the championship's history.
Thank you for reading and have a great weekend. Paul and the team.
The Golf Centre Team, Dibden Golf Centre, Main Road
Dibden, Southampton, SO45 5TB
Foremost Golf, the UK's largest golf retail group, delivering value through expertise for the Club Golfer
|This email was sent to you by The Golf Centre Team and is provided as a service for the members and guests of Dibden Golf Centre and the customers of the Dibden Golf Centre Pro Shop and has been supported and sponsored by advertisers in this mail and by our partner suppliers:|
|® The Crest is a registered trademark of The Professional Golfers’ Association Limited|
| FootJoy | Golf Care | Golf Pride | Motocaddy | Scotty Cameron | Srixon | Titleist | Vokey Wedges | Wilson Staff | Your Golf Travel | |
|Please click here if you want to stop receiving emails from The Golf Centre Team|